Marshall School Summer Institute in College Preparation
July 20 –August 19, 2011
Join us in beautiful Minnesota this summer to boost your English skills, and learn everything you need to know about studying at a US college or university! In addition to our world-class academic year program for international students, Marshall offers a Summer Institute in College Preparation that is specifically designed to improve English language skills, as well as provide practical knowledge of US colleges and universities - how to prepare, apply, and be successful! The Summer program is perfect for students considering studying in the US for high school or college, and students who are already enrolled in a US high school. The Summer Program also provides a perfect transition for students who will enter a US high school in the fall.
Click here to start your application today! We look forward to welcoming you to Duluth.
Marshall's Summer Institute takes place over the course of four weeks in July/August, and covers content in the following areas:
- Intensive English language instruction
- ACT, SAT and TOEFL test preparation and strategies for success
- How to choose the right college/university for you
- The college application process
- Scholarships and financial aid
- Succeeding in an American college/university
American Culture and Leisure
- Visit the St. Paul, Minneapolis metro area – the Mall of America, attend a Minnesota Twins baseball game, museums, the Minnesota Zoo and IMAX theater, and Valleyfair – one of America’s most thrilling amusement parks!
- Explore the history and natural wilderness of Northern Minnesota – Learn about Lake Superior, canoe and fish in the world’s most pristine waters, ride on a sailboat, stroll on Duluth’s boardwalk, and more!
- For more information on the beautiful City of Duluth, visit www.duluthmn.gov
The final week of the Program students will board the bus and visit colleges and universities around the State of Minnesota – from small, private colleges like Carleton College to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, students will be able to tour campuses, talk with college counselors and admissions professionals, and more!
By the end of the Program, students will have gained the following skills:
- Improved English skills
- College entrance exam preparation
- Ability to navigate the US college and university system
- Ability to apply for US scholarships and financial aid
- Experience attending US college courses
- Personal knowledge of different colleges and universities
- The confidence to study in America
- The personal and cultural skills required for success in an American high school or college!
For a sample schedule of the program, click here.
Why is Marshall School an expert in college preparation?
Marshall School is a premiere, independent college preparatory high school located in northern Minnesota. The mission of Marshall is to educate students to become global citizens who demonstrate strong academic habits, respect, compassion, integrity, self-discipline, and intellectual curiosity. We have been preparing students for college with great success for over 100 years.
- Established in 1904
- Number of students – 422
- International population – 10%
- Students accepted at first choice college – 90%
- Scholarship dollars offered to graduating seniors (class size 70) - $4 million
- Scholarship dollars accepted by graduating seniors (class size 70) - $2 million
- Average ACT score – 26
- Top 10% SAT scores – 690 verbal, 780 math, 730 writing
- Average graduates accepted to 4 year colleges or universities – 100%
Recent Marshall College Acceptances
- Brown University
- Harvard University
- Carleton College
- University of Chicago
- Dartmouth College
- Columbia University
- Georgetown University
- Stanford University
- Northwestern University
- Yale University
Students will stay on the beautiful campus of the University of Minnesota Duluth. A member of the flagship University of Minnesota system of universities, the University of Minnesota Duluth enrolls over 11,000 students from across the country and internationally. Students will stay on campus, eat meals in the full-service dining facility, and have access to facilities that include an indoor swimming pool, fitness center, media and technology centers, gaming centers, and an indoor climbing wall.
For more information on the University of Minnesota Duluth, visit www.d.umn.edu.
Classroom instruction will take place at the University of Minnesota Duluth, and Marshall School.
Tuition and Fees
*includes all food, lodging and fees. Students must bring their own spending money for souvenirs and other incidental purchases.
For more information or to start the application process today, contact Christa Knudsen, Director of International Programs and Admissions at email@example.com.