Marshall School was founded in 1972 by a group of civic and religious leaders who believed that a high-quality, college-preparatory education was essential to the future of northern Minnesota.
The first board assumed governance of Cathedral Senior High School (founded in 1904) under an agreement with the Catholic diocese of Duluth that could no longer afford to sustain the school.
In 1987, the school’s name was changed to The Marshall School to highlight its independent status and to honor the Albert Morley Marshall family, whose vision and resources over three generations enhanced the quality of education and life in Duluth.
Marshall is the only independent school in northern Minnesota and northwestern Wisconsin. Students from 20 school districts and a wide geographic area attend Marshall. In recent years, an increasing number of out-of-state and international students have attended Marshall and lived with local families.